Wednesday, September 1, 2010

On Stolen Seasons

There is a scene in Shakespeare in Love (one of my favorites) where Gwyneth, ahem, I mean Viola, says to Will Shakespeare "This is not life Will, this is but a stolen season."

That phrase has been on my mind lately as wedding preparations are made, family arrives in town and celebrations take place. These are joyous, life-bubbling moments that I so wish we could keep in a little glass jar and open on those dreary, not-so-fun days. They can be rare, but boy oh boy are they great reminders that our lives matter and that there is something bigger that us at play here.

Last night was also one of those moments. Mr. Yann took me out to a lovely dinner at a place named KONG, a rather hip restaurant known for its cocktails, I mean, its glass domed roof that shares an amazing view of the Pont Neuf, the river and the lights of Paris. After dinner, Yann asked if I'd like to take a walk (verrrry unusual behavior). Of course I said 'oui!' so we stroled across the Pont Neuf bridge to the left bank and found ourselves in a little square called the Place Dauphine.

Even at almost 11PM, there were groups of older men playing Petanque in the square under the glowing street lamps. The restaurants folded into the outside of the sqaure were quieting down a bit. Just a little giggle here or the sound of a fork on a plate there. And the air was warm.

It was there, on a bench in the square that Mr. Yann proposed to me. (Wait, wait, what? Didn't he already propose? Aren't you getting married like, tomorrow? You may ask.) What can I say, we're doing things backwards over here.

It was sweet and sincere and it the moment was perfect. Now if only I could find a little glass jar to capture that moment for a rainy day.

But I know that there will be more moments to come...tomorrow :)




1 comment:

  1. Love you Kelly~ This post made me so very happy for you.
    -jordo

    ReplyDelete