Tuesday, September 7, 2010

09.02.2010

For a bride-to-be, waking up the morning of her wedding with pink eye is never a good thing.

And so was my plight on the morning of September 2. Note to self: NEVER let the MAC lady talk you into 'doing your makeup' two days before your own wedding. Bad idea.

Thanks to good advice from my dear friend Annaelle and the lovely pharmacist located just below my apartment, I was provided with the drugs needed to allay my sorry eye. At least, long enough to make it through the wedding ceremony and celebrations.

The day began with my dear friends, Carole, Annaelle, Natacha (Yann's sister) and myself, waking up to a beautiful sunny day and oh, yes, the FranceTelecom man who finally came to set up our internet service.

The girls had spent the night previous with me and we'd kicked the guys out the day before. So let me tell you, walking into an apartment full (nearly) of lovely ladies at 8AM was NOT the worst day for Mr. France Telecom man.

Flash forward several hours to Carole and Annaelle making French 75s (per my request, aren't they dears?) in the kitchen as Natacha and my friends Brad, Cecilia (freshly arrived from Sweden) prepped for an afternoon of wedded bliss.
Above: Annaelle working away in the kitchen, putting together her delicious French 75s - or rather, MY delicious French 75 :)

Below: Me with my friend Natalie, taking a break in the sun...









The bliss began at the Parc Monceau, where Yann and I had agreed to meet - for the first time since the day before - on the bridge to exchange vows. Just the two of us...and some friends who joined to take photos :)

























It was quiet, it was beautiful and above all, it was very meaningful. Tears were shed (ahem, just a few due to not wanting to mess up the 1) stricken eye 2) makeup) and of course, heartfelt things were said and then we were off to Mairie du 9ème for the marriage ceremony with friends and family.













At City Hall, Yann and I were met by friends and family. It was a lovely, relaxing time. We were able to take a few photos and visit with (mostly) everyone. As we entered City Hall and the very royally decorated 'salle', we sat in anticipation. Nervous smiles, sweaty palms, very welcome bursts of laughter.

And finally, the arrival of the Mayor himself.

As a sidenote, we were blessed to have the actual mayor marry us as it is usually a civil servant who is sent to carry out marriages. And what a wonderful job the Mayor of the 9th did. Citing quotes from American writer, Paul Auster, and doing well to incorporate our personalities into the ceremony. It was an emotional and very moving ceremony.




Yann and I said 'I do' - well, he said 'Oui!' and I said a very lively 'YES!' in front of our friends and family, and our witnesses, Eric, Guillaume and Annaelle.

Following the exchange of rings and I do's, all of those invited to the ceremony were also invited to join in what is called the Vin d'Honneur. This is a relaxed cocktail hour with appetizers and champagne.

We toasted together and spent a nice time visited with all of those invited to share in our special moment.








Above: My Dad with Carole and Annelle - of course he finds the pretty girls!

The evening continued with roughly 20 of our friends and family at the Laparousse - one of the oldest restaurants in Paris. Located along the Seine, the scene was warm and inviting, and the people around us made it so. It was a little envelope of love and support.What was probably the most touching moment of the evening were the speeches given. Yann stood up and (in english!) gave a toast to all for joining us, and to my mom. My mom was so missed. And I know she would have so loved to have celebrated with us, to have been with me this day. I know she was there in spirit - she was. But I wanted more.

My dad then gave a speech - toasted Yann and I and recalled funny stories from my childhood (how lovely!) and also spoke about what my mom had said about Yann. How she expected 'this day' to come and how she welcomed it with open arms.

There was not a dry eye in that room.

Yann and I finished the evening by dancing to 'At Last' - selected by yours truly :) What other song can summarize our relationship?

And so, it was, that 'At Last' Yann Genton married Kelly Roberts and what a day it was...pink eye and all.

3 comments:

  1. Kelly,

    You look radiant. What a beautiful bride and handsome groom. I am so happy for you, truly.

    with love,
    jordo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful, Kelly! Congratulations. You were, as Jordan put it, radiant.

    Much happiness to you both,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just gave me pink eye(s). So sweet. What a great day for the two of you. I can't wait to celebrate with you guys in person.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete