Friday, August 6, 2010

The New 'Quartier'

As promised, here are are few photos of my new neighborhood - the Village des Batignolles.

For a brief history (and a quick glipse of my nerdyness), the name Batignolles is a mash of the latin words 'bastillole' and 'bastidiole' meaning 'small country home'. Hmmm...I guess I could see small country homes tucked away in this small corner of Paris say, 200 years ago. As I found out from further research (ahem, Wikepedia) this area of town was actually its own independant, rural quarter until Paris bought the land in 1860 under Napolean III.


And to that I say, "Thank you Napolean III for replacing dusty farm land with quaint cafés, refreshing bars and delicious bistros!!"

Today, the Village still has a sense of separateness about it. Many of the shops here remain independant, 'artisanal', specialty shops - from private booksellers to frame and antique shops - shops that have unfortunately become fewer and farther between in Paris as more expensive, trendy chain stores have taken over the city in the past few years.

To compare this area to Seattle (what can I say, a girl can leave the city but the city can't leave the girl), I would call it the Ballard of Paris. Without the locks :)











1 comment:

  1. YAY! The Ballard of Paris. I love the pictures, I can practically hear the street noises and smell the pizza.

    ReplyDelete