Monday, August 9, 2010

Just me, Mario, Patricia and Ina

These past few weeks, I have been basking in the splendor of having a big kitchen. For the first time in my life, I actually have room to chop, stir and make an even bigger mess than usual.

Who would have thought it even possible in a Parisian apartment?

Like a baguette in a dish of olive oil, I have been soaking up the thoughts, cooking tips and recipes of my dear friends
Mario Batali, Patricia Wells and Ina Gartner and I have never eaten better.

I can't lie, it does help having a daily farmer's market just down the street with the freshest of summer's bounty.

And as Mario shared with me just last week as we were sharing a glass of Viognier together, 'A chef is only as good as her ingredients.' Such words of wisdom that man speaks.

With all the delicious tomatoes on hand these days, I decided to make this recipe: Scalloped Tomatoes with Croutons - orginally created by Ina but readapted by SmittenKitchen.com. Instant love. The pictures do not do this dish justice, but I promise you will be back for 2nds, 3rds...

Scalloped Tomatoes with Croutons

- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups bread from a French Boule or Italian bread, cut into 1/2 pieces or smaller (really, any fluffy fresh bread will work)
- 2 1/2 pounds of whatever delicious tomatoes you can find, cut into 1/2 inch diced pieces. (Make sure to keep all that yummy juice!)
- 3 gloves garlic (or 4 if you like more...), minced
- 2 tbls sugar (I put in just 1 because tomatoes are already so sweet)
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

As a sidenote, Yann called the dish 'Very American'. I called it 'Very Delicious'.

The view from the kitchen...






























3 comments:

  1. I so starred this recipe to remember to make it later! I'm glad to hear it was tasty :) and that you are cooking up a storm! Love you Kell!

    -jordo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I wish I could make a tomato-centric dish like this... Mark's phobic behavior towards them is so bad he doesn't like to chop them for my salad! It looks lovely- and the view!! Ahhh, the view! I hope we can cook something for the boys together, with that view, sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sounds amazing! I'm so glad to hear your cooking and loving your new apartment :)

    ReplyDelete