Thursday, July 1, 2010

On Growth Unexpectedly

I've been in Paris now for 2 weeks and the longer I stay, the hotter the city seems to get. Today, we're languishing in 105° temps.

I suppose the Paris translation would be an image of standing in a crowded métro car as you feel the sweat slowly trickling down from your armpits, one bead at a time. But you can't do anything about it. Instead, you're trying too hard to hold on tight to the métro bars so as not to fall in a big sweaty pile while taking down the people standing (and sweating) right next to you.

Leaving Seattle has meant a re-adjustment to Paris life and the surprise that, gosh darnit, I've gotten a bit older since my last stint in Paris! I had no idea I hated pollution, noise and people so much. I can't even remember staying out late being a problem when I was here last - dinner at 3 a.m.? Why sure!! Cigarette smoke in the face at a bar? It's 'cultural'!

I knew that something had changed the moment I set up my new cell phone and the man at the Orange store said "Madame or Mademoiselle?" to which I paused and he countered quickly with, "Ok, Madame Roberts, très bien!" And that settled it.

I am officially Madame now. And you know what? That's OK.

While it was only 3 years ago that I last lived here and taught English, a lot has happened in those 3 years. A lot. I've earned the title of Madame and I'll own it: at the grocery store, the bank, restaurants, it's officially "Bonjour Madame!".

Shame on me should I ever wish to go back to Mademoiselle.

I like the idea that leaving a place - even a place as bustling and crawling as Paris - can make you stop and see how much you've developed, grown, morphed into a different person since you last experienced that place.

I'm looking forward to getting to know this new 'Madame' person better and for the growth that is to come.




No comments:

Post a Comment